I've been fortunate enough to have Eddie Jones deliver some sessions. This is the game he started with and it is excellent for reinforcing key messages around core skills or principles of play. MORE
A variation on piggy-in-the-middle with changing options as the game continues. Use a large die or just call out the numbers to change the constraints.
- Four or five attackers pass the ball to each other. They can run
- If the ball goes out of the box, or is intercepted or the ball carrier runs out, then the defender becomes an attacker and the attacker (who made the error) swaps out with a defender at the side
- Other defenders roll the die, and keep rolling until one of the numbers below comes up
1: Attackers can only hop on one leg
3: Defender swaps with another defender
6: For five seconds, the defender can tag the attacker with the ball for a turnover
2: All the players have to jump to move
4: Once passed, the ball carrier has to do a press up
5: The attackers have to pass with one hand
For every number other than three, the constraint lasts for five seconds or three passes, you choose
Quickly transition from one constraint to another.
A box, one ball and a large foam die (if you have one)
HOW TO DO IT
- Put four to five attackers inside a box with a ball.
- Have one defender inside the box. Have a couple more defenders outside the box with a die.
- The attackers pass the ball between them, while the defender tries to intercept. The defender cannot touch an attacker.
- If the ball goes out, is intercepted or an attacker runs out of the box with a ball, then the defender joins the attackers.
- Have a defender roll the die. They keep rolling until one of the numbers below turns up.
GAME 1 (Three outcomes)
1: The attackers must hop on one leg to pass the ball for the next five seconds (or to complete three passes).
3: The defender swaps out.
6: PIG! You call “Pig” and the defender aims to touch the ball carrier. They have five seconds in which to do it.
GAME 2 (Six outcomes and to be used as a development)
2: The attackers and defender can only jump to move – five seconds or three passes before back to normal.
4: The passer has to do a press-up or up and down.
5: All passes must be one handed, but the defender can only hop (five seconds or three passes).
Have fun. Be patient. Let the players come up with ideas for the numbers.