Challenge your players to work out better ways to use the 22m drop-out as a way of pressurising the opposition. This fun game promotes accurate kicking, hard chasing and role understanding. MORE
Hardcore piggy in the middle
Pull the core skills of contact together with an age-old game with a twist.
This simple game is easy to set up so players can concentrate on the core skills of footwork, offloading and ball placement in a competitive situation
- Play five attackers v two piggies.
- The attackers can run and pass anywhere in the square.
- Any mistake by an attacker means that player swaps with the nearest “piggy”.
- If the piggy slaps down or intercepts the ball, he replaces the last attacker to touch the ball.
- If the piggy puts two hands on the ball carrier’s body, the ball carrier and tackler have to go to ground.
- Then two attackers and one defender compete for the ball on the ground.
- The direction of the attack is the way the attacker who is touched is running.
- Develop by moving to full contact.
- Don’t offload the ball if it is not on – go to ground.
- Use the fend to create space to offload (even in touch).
- Keep the ball free – shift it from hand to hand