Use these breakout exercises to focus on handling decision-making before returning the players to a game. Avoid stopping and starting – just let it run to allow the attackers to find solutions. MORE
Hardcore piggy in the middle
Pull the core skills of contact together with an age-old game with a twist.
This simple game is easy to set up so players can concentrate on the core skills of footwork, offloading and ball placement in a competitive situation
- Play five attackers v two piggies.
- The attackers can run and pass anywhere in the square.
- Any mistake by an attacker means that player swaps with the nearest “piggy”.
- If the piggy slaps down or intercepts the ball, he replaces the last attacker to touch the ball.
- If the piggy puts two hands on the ball carrier’s body, the ball carrier and tackler have to go to ground.
- Then two attackers and one defender compete for the ball on the ground.
- The direction of the attack is the way the attacker who is touched is running.
- Develop by moving to full contact.
- Don’t offload the ball if it is not on – go to ground.
- Use the fend to create space to offload (even in touch).
- Keep the ball free – shift it from hand to hand