Here is how you can integrate ACTIVATE Pogo jumps into a 1 v 1 evasion activity. MORE
Rugby warm up drill to work on fast ball handling
Set up the warm-up drill
- In a 10-metre square four of your rugby players wait on one line, facing in.
- You stand about halfway up the square on the left-hand side and roll the ball in.
- One player picks up the ball and it must then be passed once to every player, always in a direction away from you. This might mean very short passes, depending on how quickly the ball is rolled in and how the players react.
What to say in this rugby drill:
- “Passer step towards me before passing.”
- “Receivers, hold depth.”
- “Ball retriever, pick and pass straight away, just like in a tight game situation.”
Many coaches tell me that it is the warm-up that prompts most of the "same-old, same-old" complaints from players. You can build on a successful rugby warm-up, so it's worth investing in The Ultimate Rugby Warm-ups Manual to get them right. Click here to order.
Click here for rugby coaching tips and fitness drills for players in different positions.