Start by helping the players to understand what it means to attack the inside shoulder. The exercise then develops this so players run the right line, pass the ball and then follow their pass to give support to the next ball carrier. MORE
VIDEO: Snap, snap, return for agility, handling and decision making
Use this agility, handling and decision-making activity as a way of getting players thinking, moving and interacting. It comes from our Skills Conditioning and Fitness DVD.
HOW TO DO IT
- Put four players with a ball at one end of a 20m box.
- Inside the box put a series of lines of obstacles (four lines in the video), with spaces for the players to attack.
- Every time a player attacks a space, they pass to another player.
- This exercise comes after the players have been developing their handling and footwork in small areas. It develops support as the players have to read the movement of the ball carrier and other support runners as well.
- Encourage the players to attack different gaps, so there’s never more than one player going through the same gap.
- Add in defenders at the end of the box, arriving at different angles to the attackers have to make decisions based on movement.
- Take out a line of obstacles and replace with a defender.