Build up the best techniques for winning quick rucks with this warm-up ruck drill. The players develop the right footwork and body angles and body shapes to drive away threats from the ball. MORE
VIDEO: Fun, competitive passing warm up
Use this kneeling down passing exercise to work on good upper body style for passing, where the players use their shoulders and hip rotation to generate power in the pass, and elbows and wrist to create acceleration and accuracy. It’s also good for working on catch and pass techniques in isolation.
- Put two lines on players on their knees, with one line facing the other line.
- Each line starts with a ball at one end.
- When you say “go”, the players pass the ball along the line, looking for the fastest passing group. Then they pass the ball back down the line.
- After a couple of goes, the players swap positions.
- Notice in the video how the players start to come up their own solutions. Encourage this, rather than call in with your own ideas.
- Challenge the players to start further apart.
- Ask the better players to sit down rather than kneel down.