In this warm-up game, passing and catching are important, but vision and awareness are paramount. When the player is lining up to run, he needs to know who is going, when he needs to go, who he’ll receive from, who he’ll pass to and where he’ll line up next. MORE
Try this fast moving warm-up game: Hot box feet
From 48 Rugby Skills Games
This is constantly moving warm up game, which can be replicated across lots of boxes. It works on passing anticipation, because no player is allowed to stand still or take a pass standing still
Players: 3 attackers v 1 defender
Area: 7m square
Equipment: One ball
- The attack can move in any direction along the lines as long as they stay on the lines
- Dropped balls, intercepted passes or being caught in possession means victory for the defender
- The last player to touch the ball before the defender wins becomes the new defender.
- The attackers aim to make five passes to win.
What to call out
- “Pass in front of the receiver”
- “Receiver: hands out”
- “Receiver: look ahead and call for the ball”.
- Think about adjusting the size of the box if your players find it too hard or too easy
- Play the game a couple of times, then bring the players in to discuss tactics. The team on the ball should be highlighting early and firm passes. The defenders should anticipate and shadow, aiming not to get caught in the corners because they will then have to run further.
P.S. This session comes from my 48 Rugby Skills Games manual. Click here to find out more.