"When asked what my three go-to U12s warm-ups are, I have no hesitation in listing them out", says Dan Brockhurst, owner of DB Sports Coaching. MORE
Blockers: A super-quick footwork and handling warm-up
Set your players up for the session with this competitive warm-up game of blockers which helps them use footwork, communication and in the development, passing skills.
A good game is a quick game and with this easy set-up the players will be able to have lots of goes at being the “attacker”. Fast, noisy and a great way to energise your session.
- Spread out the cones in a circle, about 3m apart.
- Put an attacker in the middle of the circle.
- The other players remain on the edge of the circle.
- When you say go, the attacker has to put his foot on a cone (or touch the cone with his hand or a ball) without being touched.
- If he’s touched, he simply aims for another cone.
- The defenders can move from cone to cone but not into the circle.
- Play for 30 seconds or until an attacker touches a cone and then rotate in a defender for an attacker.
- You can develop this version of the game in two ways.
- Add another player who is also an attacker or make the circle bigger.
- Then, put two attackers into the circle, with three defenders on the outside.
- The attackers have a ball and aim to touch the ball onto a cone before being touched.
- Defenders – look up and communicate.
- Attacker – slow then quick to change direction fast and accelerate.