This drill based practice is designed to get players comfortable receiving the ball at maximum speed. MORE
Return to play: Social distancing road block game
Use this second box passing game to develop pass, catch and movement skills as well as defensive movement. The players can quickly develop their own adaptions. A great warm-up game for in-season training.
HOW TO PLAY
- Play 4 v 2
- All players remain within their area.
- The ball cannot be passed above head height but can be kicked above this height. Kicks must be caught cleanly without a bounce unless it’s a grubber.
- Attack gets a point for every completed pass to a player in the other box.
- The defence tries to intercept or block.
- Set a target for ‘winning the game’ e.g. 10/20/30 passes.
- Defenders can only block with a left or right hand. That will give attackers more chances and make them think tactically.
- An attacker follows their pass, so it becomes three in a box until another pass is made.
- If a pass is caught by the defence, they swap with attackers who made the pass.
- Use a tennis ball or volleyball, which has to be bounced through the playing area.
We decided that over-head passes would be worth 1 point and passes through or below head height were worth more.
Some groups then said that only 1 overhead pass was allowed, and some limited the number of kicks allowed to encourage passing.