Develop good footwork in the last few steps before the tackle. First, to power into a tackle situation, and then to adjust as the tackle target moves either to the left or the right. This activity uses low-impact outcomes with tackle tubes to focus on the technical aspects of the skill. MORE
VIDEO: Tackle tube race
Improve tackle technique and conditioning in this competitive drill. Note that you should encourage good technique throughout, penalising players who simply dive into the tackle tubes.
- Set up a corridor of ten cones, about 3m apart.
- Put pairs of players at one end of the corridor, with one of the players holding a tackle tube.
- On “go”, one player drives into the tube, recovers, picks it up and resets the tube in line with the next cone.
- The original holder then tackles the tube, recovering and resets the tube as above.
- The players race to the far end of the corridor.
- Penalise players who dive into the tube. Making them repeat the tackle.
- Keep the head up.
- Stay as tall as long as you can.
- Knees drop, not head.
- Hands up before the contact.
- Keep driving through the contact.