Make sure your players enter the breakdown legally – by getting tough through the tackle gate. This will also mean they’ll arrive square and in a better position to drive over the ball and win it. MORE
VIDEO: Tackle, change feet
Develop good footwork in the last few steps before the tackle. First, to power into a tackle situation, and then to adjust as the tackle target moves either to the left or the right. This activity uses low-impact outcomes with tackle tubes to focus on the technical aspects of the skill.
- A tackler stands opposite a tube which is around 3-5m away.
- They come forward with a team mate to make a strong tackle, with their feet firmly on the ground before and during the tackle impact.
- They recover and repeat twice.
- Then, as they come forward, on your signal, the tube holders move their tube to the left or the right when the tackler is about 1m away.
- Repeat, as above. Adjust the distances that the tacklers need to run.
- Head up, hands in front to make the tackle.
- Keep the feet on the ground through the tackle. No diving into the tubes.
- Accelerate into the tackle.