Encourage all the best attributes in a good defensive line with this game of slide and hammer. It will improve your teams’ line speed and cohesiveness. MORE
VIDEO: Setting up and playing from quick ball
Use this activity to help players work on setting up quick ball from the backs of rucks or scrums and then playing the next phase. It will help develop decision making and quick second phase ball creation and play.
- Set up the back of a ruck or scrum with cones.
- Put three forwards at these cones, a 9 and two backs standing further away to the side.
- The 9 rolls the ball through the cones.
- A forward picks up, runs out then goes to ground.
- The nearest two players secure the ball. The scrum half then passes the ball for the backs to attack.
“Start the run when the 9 dips down to gather ball”
WHAT TO CALL OUT
Ball carrier: run low and hard. Take short powerful steps into the contact.
Supporters: communicate with the ball carrier – tell them when to go to ground.
Get the ball clear of the contact as soon as possible.
DEVELOPING THE SESSION
- Add defenders into the channels. If you have ruck pads, then use these to start with.
- Swap the players acting as backs into positions in the pack.
- Change the position of channel “B”. For example wider or on the other side of the “ruck”.
- Use any player as the scrum half.