Encourage all the best attributes in a good defensive line with this game of slide and hammer. It will improve your teams’ line speed and cohesiveness. MORE
VIDEO: Secure the perfect two-second ruck
Develop your ruck support players’ skills to blast the opposition threats away from the tackled player to win quick ball from the ruck
- In a 10m box, stand a pair of ruck-pad holders and three attacking players with a ball on the side. Defending players holding contact shields, one attacking player holding a ball.
- The ball carrier runs towards the ruck-pad holder with ball in two hands and attacks the edge of one of the ruck pads.
- He goes to ground on contact and the support players to follow him into contact.
- The support players scan for defensive threats, hands chest high (boxer hands) and must communicate to ball carrier “Floor, Floor”, and to other support player “My threat”.
- Support player to enter the breakdown with a strong low profile and take out any defensive threats away from the breakdown.
- Encourage ball carrier to be active on the ground.
- Scan the defensive threats
- Hands chest high as a support player
- Blast the threat away
- Take away ruck pads away with the aim of making the activity more game realistic.
- The move to a game in a 30m square with 8 attackers against 8 defenders. Mark out a try-scoring zone at opposite ends of the box. The aim of the game is to score as many tries possible in a given time slot, for example, 60 seconds. Once try is scored attacking team attack opposite try line. Defenders to contest breakdown. Condition the breakdown so that only a tackler plus two defenders can contest.