How many times have you seen an overlap go to waste? Not a 2 v 1, but if you have 4 v 3 or 5 v 3? MORE
VIDEO: Phil Larder’s multiple line defence drill
Here is a safe drill, best practised mid-week, which gives the defenders match-like conditions to work on side and front-on low tackles. It focuses on balance, concentration and technique. It’s suitable for all abilities. It’s ideal for large numbers of players.
It concentrates on:
- The uncertainty of which shoulder the ball carrier will run at or whether they will run straight at them.
- Going forward, well-balanced so prepared to go right or left.
- The hip position of the ball carrier for a target for the defender.
- Prior to impact, moving forward decisively and executing a dominant tackle.
- Control the direction of the ball carriers by pointing.
- Ensure all ball carriers move in the same direction.
- Keep rotating which players are in front of you, so you can keep analysing the technique and efficiency of every tackle.