The best lineouts work on tempo, where the jumper arrives and explodes into action before the opposition can react. Practise throw and jump timings to build a rhythm to your sideline set piece. MORE
VIDEO: Ladder mirror warm up
Use this warm-up exercise to develop quick reactions as well as awareness of your opponent’s movements. You can use cones instead of ladders.
- Put a player either side of a ladder (or a row of cones).
- One player mirrors the other.
- The first player puts their foot into a ladder space and then another.
- The other follows.
- Run for 30 seconds and then swap who leads.
- Develop with the leader putting their hand or foot in the space.
- Keeping rotating the pairs.
- Develop by the mirroring player having to match the opposite limb; so left foot matches right.