The switch pass is notoriously difficult to coach. Try out this activity to let your players develop the right sort of skill. There are lots of moving parts in a switch pass which mean, even at the top level, they can be difficult to execute. This activity gives the players more awareness of their running lines and potential passes. MORE
VIDEO: Ladder mirror warm up
Use this warm-up exercise to develop quick reactions as well as awareness of your opponent’s movements. You can use cones instead of ladders.
- Put a player either side of a ladder (or a row of cones).
- One player mirrors the other.
- The first player puts their foot into a ladder space and then another.
- The other follows.
- Run for 30 seconds and then swap who leads.
- Develop with the leader putting their hand or foot in the space.
- Keeping rotating the pairs.
- Develop by the mirroring player having to match the opposite limb; so left foot matches right.