Shuffling and cross-over steps are essential skills for a defender to react to a change of direction of an attacker. Work on these in the development of your players’ tackling progression. MORE
VIDEO: Heads up technical passing drill
Use this four-player, two-ball exercise to hone your passers’ accuracy and ball transfer. The gentle pressure of movement, aligned with the skills of keeping the head and the body square will also help players to pass quickly.
- Put a ball carrier between two players, 3m apart.
- Put a feeder about 2m in front of the ball carrier.
- The three players start moving forward, and the feeder backwards.
- Have the ball carrier pass to their left, then receive a pass from the feeder. They return to the pass to the feeder.
- Then have the original ball carrier take and give a pass from the player next to them, before receiving another pass from the feeder.
- Speed up or slow down the walking/running to suit the players’ skills.
- Hands out to receive the ball, with fingers to the sky.
- Elbows off the chest.
- Finish the pass with the hands towards the receiver.