Make this 90-minute session part of your pre-season preparations. It develops your players’ phase play in four clear and easy steps – warm-up, technical skills, unit skills and tactics. MORE
VIDEO: Handling against the drift
Use these two exercises to develop and progress your players’ handling skills when they are facing a drift defence.
- Put three defenders inside in a 25-30m box.
- Have four attackers run forward and pass the ball.
- Start with walking rugby, then increase the pace.
- In this exercise, the defenders simply mark the inside three players.
- The ball carrier concentrates on running straight and passing firmly.
- In a 30m wide box, the defenders race forward through a gate of cones each. They then drift out to cover the attackers.
- At the same time, the attackers come forward, through another set of gates. These gates are offset from the defenders’ gates.
- The attackers use straight running to hold the defenders and aim to get the ball to the spare player at the edge.
- If a defender overruns, then the attacker should step inside them.