Use this activity to get your players organising themselves on the move and give the outside player room to run. It works on footwork, handling and communication. MORE
VIDEO: Defence into attack
Use this scenario to develop the players’ awareness of defenders coming from different angles, while adjusting running lines to support the ball carrier.
- At the side of a large area (say 30m by 30m), put an attacker and defender on the fronts. Stand just behind them with a ball.
- Lob the ball into towards three attackers who standing at one end of the area. Have a defender about 5m in front of these attackers.
- Have a defender at the far end. This defender doesn’t come forward until the attack has reached halfway through the box.
- The attackers aim to beat the defenders to score at the far end.
- Change the starting position of the players, including mixing up the numbers of players who are next to the coach who throws the ball into the area.
- Run hard and straight to fix defenders.
- Hold the width, so the defence has to spread and cover. Hold the width means attackers should not bunch up.