Colin Philips, an age grade and academy coach with the Scottish Rugby Union shared this video with me. It was partly based on an thought we were talking about. He included some extra ideas, and watch carefully for his coaching method to really enhance his players' learning outcomes. MORE
VIDEO: 2 v 1 from the side drill, blocking and showing
In this 2 v 1 drill, the defender comes from the side. The passer needs to interest the defender and come up with ways to prevent that defender from moving onto the receiver.
- Put a defender in the middle of the side of a 10m box.
- Put two attackers at the end of the box.
- The attackers aim to score at the far end, with the defender moving forward when the attackers move.
- The first ball carrier aims to pass so they block the defender from moving across.
- Or, the first ball carrier interests the defender with ball pumps (short, dummy passes), to hold up the defender. If the defender goes too early, then the ball carrier can step inside.
- Add in another defender on the side.
- Add in another attacker.