Better tacklers read and anticipate the attackers’ movements. Improve your players’ anticipation skills by focusing on the ball carrier’s core. MORE
Unleash the dogs of war
If the ball is on the ground, then players need to react, and react aggressively. This activity works on what happens immediately after the ball is won.
Sometimes you need a session that tests whether your players have got the guts to go for the 50:50 ball. Often this separates teams in close encounters.
- Put two ruck pad holders on a line, with an attacker just in front of them and then a ball about 5m away.
- Have the attacker pick up the ball and aim to score back over the line with the pad holders coming forward to push him over and away from the line.
- Put a player on each corner of a triangle.
- Put a ball in the middle of the triangle.
- Shout out which player to go for the ball.
- And then shout out a few moments later when the other players can come forward.
- The ball player has to put the ball down over the line opposite him whilst the other two have to stop him.
- Split into groups of three. Put two groups in the box, facing away from each other.
- Roll the ball towards one group and shout “go”.
- Both teams turn and aim to score over the line opposite.
- The winning team OR team that doesn’t infringe stays on.
- Step over or fall on the ball.
- Get into a low body and driving position early.
- Keep driving forward.