Shuffling and cross-over steps are essential skills for a defender to react to a change of direction of an attacker. Work on these in the development of your players’ tackling progression. MORE
Two station activity: (1) Ruck support (2) Pass realign
Use these activities on rotation, spending around 5 minutes on each station, then swapping twice (20 minutes in all). The first works on support roles at the ruck, the second on handling and getting into position to run onto the ball.
Ruck & support: a ruck pad, ball and six coloured cones. Pass & realign: boxes of 10m x 10m, 10m x 5m, 10m x 15m.
RUCK AND SUPPORT
- A ruck-pad holder stands in the middle of a row of three cones.
- A carrier runs round the right-hand cone and drives into the pad.
- At the same time, you call a colour and two attackers on their knees rise and run around that cone.
- They drive back the pad. In our graphic, they’ve followed the carrier round the blue cone, but a different colour would require them to run from behind the ruck situation.
- Next, add a pad holder 5m to the side of the first and a second row of cones.
- Repeat but this time call a second colour and the attackers run round that cone and hit the second pad.
- One support player picks up the ball from the first ruck to carry it into the second pad.
PASS AND REALIGN
- Three attackers and a feeder run and pass the ball through the first box, with the last player putting the ball down.
- They realign in the next box (narrower) and repeat, and then in the last box (wider).
- Develop by putting a pad holder (or more) as defenders.
- Ruck drill: arrive square and low to drive out the pad.
- Pass & realign: run straight and pass in front of receiver.