Make sure your long passer engages the defence and delivers the pass in front of the receiver. Develop the receivers’ timing so you can create more space using these plays. Make long pass plays crisp to stop defenders drifting with the pass. MORE
The ever-changing channel
Develop handling decision-making skills where the attack faces different defensive pictures and have different supporting options coming through.
The players will have to look ahead, read where best to support the ball carrier and finally, clearly communicate where they are in relation to the ball carrier.
Set up a long box up to 50m, and increasing channel widths from 10m to 30m wide by the end. One ball.
DEFENCE SET UP
- 10m from the start, place one defender in the channel.
- 10m further along in a wider part of the channel place two defenders.
- 15m further along place two defenders on the outside of the channel.
- At the end of the channel place three defenders just in front of the try line.
ATTACK SET UP
- Place two players on the start line with a ball.
- At the side of the start line, place two more attackers.
- Halfway up the channel on the right-hand side place one attacker.
- The attack aims to get to the far end without losing the ball or being touched in possession.
- Defenders are only allowed to touch the ball carrier, not intercept.
- They are not allowed to come forward until the previous set of defenders are beaten.
- The supporting players at the side enter once the ball has become level with them.
- Adjustments and progressions include moving to full tackling and changing the setups of the defenders and attackers.
- Good communication.
- Holding depth off the ball carrier.