How to take the ball close to the gain line in attack to put the defence under more pressure. It will exploit quick ball from rucks by putting attackers flat, running angles and offloading before or after the tackle. MORE
VIDEO: Tackle, change feet
Develop good footwork in the last few steps before the tackle. First, to power into a tackle situation, and then to adjust as the tackle target moves either to the left or the right. This activity uses low-impact outcomes with tackle tubes to focus on the technical aspects of the skill.
- A tackler stands opposite a tube which is around 3-5m away.
- They come forward with a team mate to make a strong tackle, with their feet firmly on the ground before and during the tackle impact.
- They recover and repeat twice.
- Then, as they come forward, on your signal, the tube holders move their tube to the left or the right when the tackler is about 1m away.
- Repeat, as above. Adjust the distances that the tacklers need to run.
- Head up, hands in front to make the tackle.
- Keep the feet on the ground through the tackle. No diving into the tubes.
- Accelerate into the tackle.