Players may need to react quickly to decide who and how to tackle. Get them switched on with this drill, which teaches them to put their head in the right place when making tackles – on both sides. MORE
Tackle, change feet
Develop good footwork in the last few steps before the tackle. First, to power into a tackle situation, and then to adjust as the tackle target moves either to the left or the right. This activity uses low-impact outcomes with tackle tubes to focus on the technical aspects of the skill.
- A tackler stands opposite a tube which is around 3-5m away.
- They come forward with a team mate to make a strong tackle, with their feet firmly on the ground before and during the tackle impact.
- They recover and repeat twice.
- Then, as they come forward, on your signal, the tube holders move their tube to the left or the right when the tackler is about 1m away.
- Repeat, as above. Adjust the distances that the tacklers need to run.
- Head up, hands in front to make the tackle.
- Keep the feet on the ground through the tackle. No diving into the tubes.
- Accelerate into the tackle.