Use this warm-up activity to improve awareness, catching, looking up and speed of thought. MORE
Tackle in pairs
Don’t let bigger opposition players dominate your side. Use this activity to get your players to work in twos to chop them down to size.
- Line up two columns of players
- When you call a number, the player at the head of each column runs to the indicated tube to make a tackle
- The first player to tackle goes either high or low, the other player has to adjust their height accordingly. The left-hand player impacts with his right shoulder and vice versa
- Two players pass the ball between themselves
- When you say “GO” the front two players come forward to the tube where the ball is behind. The player holds the ball one-handed. That is the side that the high tackle is aimed at.
- Make sure the tackler stays on their feet on impact with the tube and does not dive in
- One player targets the ball, the other goes low to stop the momentum of the ball carrier
PUT IT INTO A GAME
- Play 6 v 6 (or more) touch rugby.
- If two defenders can touch a ball carrier at the same time it’s turnover. Otherwise, a touch means the ball carrier must pass.
- Two defenders have to hold up the ball carrier and stop them passing for three seconds to create a turnover.