Being accurate with your ball receipt at kick-offs and drop-outs will consolidate your game. So help your players develop their catching, realignment and passing skills with this simple activity. MORE
Tackle good, recover well, tackle again
Turn your players into dominating tacklers capable of stopping the opposition on the gain line and winning turnovers. Develop player’s ability to dominate the tackle and get into position to compete for the ball afterwards. Then, improve your players’ decision making at the tackle and their knowledge of the tackle laws.
- Start with an attacking player holding a ball, on the middle blue cone and a defender on the yellow cone opposite.
- Call a colour, say ‘GREEN’ and the defender moves to that cone.
- The ball carrier runs across when the defender reaches the cone and the defender moves to tackle the ball carrier.
- As soon as the tackle is made, the tackler recovers, reacts to your call to make another tackle.
- Each tackler makes 4 or 5 tackles against different ball carriers before swapping over.
- Tackler plants a foot as close as possible to the ball carrier and hits low with his shoulder.
- Tackler drives his legs through the tackle as he makes contact.
- Tackler drives the ball carrier to ground and finishes on top of him.
- Tackler gets back to his feet in a strong low position as quickly as possible.
Here’s a clip of the drill in action.