Use this warm-up activity to improve awareness, catching, looking up and speed of thought. MORE
Fun tackling games: the circle and bull pups
Here are two easy tackling games to set up with five to six players. Use these two games to isolate a technical aspect of the tackle, like footwork or shoulder contact. Or they can be a fun way to work on full tackling.
- The tackler stands in the middle of a group of five players, receiving a pass and passing onto the next player in the circle
- When you shout “go”, the current ball carrier aims to get to the other side of the circle. Use cones as targets for the ball carrier to reach.
- Repeat with the tackler recovering their feet and passing the ball to the next player in the circle
- Put a defender at one end of the box and four attackers at the other end
- On your signal the attackers run forward, aiming to run to the other side. The defender targets one player and aims to tackle them
- The attackers must come forward within three seconds of the call to “go”
- If successfully tackled (or forced out to the sides), this attacker now joins the other defender
- Repeat until there is only one attacker left