This session builds on the tactic of clearing the ball from the danger area with two passes. The final game adds in the key factor of not knowing exactly when the turnover is going to occur. MORE
This activity works on the ball carrier sprinting for the line while the defender tries to intercept him.
Getting to the tackle can be as important as making it. This session is mainly working on chasing tackles, so is quite low impact.
- Set up a 2m coned gate in the middle of the box for the attacker to run into and 2m coned gates for defenders A and B to run from.
- Shout out a letter to indicate which defender looks to intercept the attacker before he reaches the try line. The attacker can only angle their run after they go through the gate and defenders can only touch after that point as well.
Depending on the speed of your defenders, start them further along the side of the box.
Make the tackle a grab and then a full tackle.
Develop by having defenders A and B working together, with the defender not nominated running around the end of the box to come into defend. Another attacker can act as a support runner and take a pass before or after a touch/tackle, to score.
- Run with both hands on the ball.
- Attacker: Run hard, without worrying about the defender.
- Defender: Angle your run to intercept, not to chase.