Use this activity to get your players organising themselves on the move and give the outside player room to run. It works on footwork, handling and communication. MORE
This works on low tackles and the decisions of the tackler himself and the next arriving defender to maximise the chances of a turnover.
- An attacker receives a pass from a feeder
- There is a low tackle on him from the first defender
- The defending player and supporting attacker arrive at the same time
- The defender has to decide whether to go for the ball or engage with the clean out attacker if the initial tackler has rolled away and can re-enter the contest
- In this case, the defending player wins the ball and the turnover has been achieved
- The first tackler can now get up and set up a counter attack
A coned off 10m square.
HOW TO DO IT
- Following a feed pass from the attacking 9, the ball carrier tries to beat the tackler. The tackler has to make a low tackle and bring the ball carrier to ground.
- The tackler must practise rolling away from the tackle quickly. The next arriving defender then enters the tackle situation.
- The attacking support player enters the tackle to clean out that defender.
- Depending on the timing of his entry, the defender either attempts to go for the ball OR engages the clean out attacker to try and win the space past the ball.
- If he or she wins the space, the original tackler is free to then play the ball.
- If the tackler can quickly get to their feet and either play the ball or to take the space before the arriving clean out player, the defender is available to play the ball.
- An additional clean out player on both attacking and defending sides makes for a realistic tackle contest situation.
- Low tackle technique, bringing the ball carrier to ground to create a turnover opportunity.
- Good low body height over the ball, chin off the chest and a solid stride past the ball to win the race for the space.
- Positive communication between the tackler and the arriving player on who is to take space and who is to go for the ball.