The back row needs to operate as a coordinated unit in defence, not three individuals. Use this session to develop their roles. From a scrum, each back row player has a different running line so they can cover initial attacks, a possible break and then defend around the ruck. MORE
Put passing skills under pressure with this quick activity to set up.
Develop running and passing and then taking a pass while on the run. The passes might go to the left or right.
- Three receivers wait at the side cones.
- A ball carrier runs between the 10m cones and back towards the receivers.
- When you shout “BANG” the carrier passes backwards to the nearest receiver.
- The receivers then pass the ball to the end of the line.
- The ball carrier runs back to the starting cone, turns, and gets a pass back from the end receiver.
- If the carrier passes late or fails to pass to a receiver’s target area, he swaps with one of the receivers.
- For every pass and catch the carrier makes he receives a point. He aims to score 10 points before he swaps with one of the receivers.
- Hold the ball in two hands.
- Run upright and balanced.
- Finish with the hands towards the target.