Denis Betts, former head coach of Rugby League side Widnes, spent four years as a rugby union skills coach at Gloucester. Here he shares his thoughts. MORE
Put passing skills under pressure with this quick activity to set up.
Develop running and passing and then taking a pass while on the run. The passes might go to the left or right.
- Three receivers wait at the side cones.
- A ball carrier runs between the 10m cones and back towards the receivers.
- When you shout “BANG” the carrier passes backwards to the nearest receiver.
- The receivers then pass the ball to the end of the line.
- The ball carrier runs back to the starting cone, turns, and gets a pass back from the end receiver.
- If the carrier passes late or fails to pass to a receiver’s target area, he swaps with one of the receivers.
- For every pass and catch the carrier makes he receives a point. He aims to score 10 points before he swaps with one of the receivers.
- Hold the ball in two hands.
- Run upright and balanced.
- Finish with the hands towards the target.