In Hard and Fast with the Miss Pass, we set up a “miss pass” training session. The miss pass is a long pass which skips one player, with the missed player drawing a defender in the process. MORE
Smash the gain line and offload
Use great footwork and leg drive to break through defences while ensuring support players are on hand to take a quick pass beyond the initial contact.
Get the ball carrier to run the right angles to attack the gap between defenders, smash through the tackle and then offload to their support players. The support players will learn the best lines to receive the offload.
- With cones set out as above, get three attackers to line up with the ball carrier in the narrow channel. The pad holders stand close together in a 3m coned gate.
- The ball carrier runs through the narrow channel and attacks the gaps between the pads. They offload left or right to supporting players either side of the 3m coned gate.
- Once everyone has carried the ball and defended, you develop the session by standing behind the ruck-pad holders. Once the ball carrier breaks through the pads you hold up a hand left or right and the ball is passed in the opposite direction – this simulates an opponent covering a gap.
- Develop by having the ball carrier make a decision after the rucks pads.
- The ball carrier “squares their shoulders” before the pads so they can step left or right to go through.
- The ball carrier remains strong, head up, back straight and ball tight to their chest.