Creating overlaps increases your chance of all positive results: scoring tries, gaining ground, making breaks and quick recycled ball. So use planned moves from the scrum base to manufacture a 3 v 2. MORE
Smack and grab
This is a high-intensity, physical session that works on ruck and tackle contest techniques. It encourages players to work hard in support and when they are fatigued. Poor technique will be easily recognised.
- A ball carrier weaves through the middle cones and drives into the pad before going to ground
- The other two supporters go around the wide cones, clear the pad, gather the ball and begin an attack in the opposite direction
- Get two attackers to clear a ruck pad held low over the ball
- Once cleared, another pair come through and repeat, with the first pair recovering their positions
- Game 1: 3 v 2 Full contact, rotate one player every minute.
- Game 2: 4 v 6 (defensive overload) with no more than three defenders in any ruck. Swap two players every two minutes
HOW TO DO IT
- In a 5m square, put three attackers, one with a ball, between two ruck-pad holders.
- The ball carrier steps in and out of the middle cones before driving into the ruck pad holder, going to ground and presenting the ball.
- The other two attackers run around the cones at the side and then run to clear the ruck pad holder out before retrieving the ball. They turn and repeat.
- Work for at least a minute before swapping pad holders for attackers.
- In groups of five get two attackers to run around the cones and then around to clear a ruck pad holder who has the pad over the ball.
- The first attacker must get very low and drive the pad holder back.
- Once successful, the second pair come in while the first pair recover and reset.
- Work for at least a minute before swapping the ruck pad holder.
- Split into groups of five. Play a 3v2 attacking overload in the 10m x 5m box. Every infringement or try means both groups return to the end of their box to restart. Rotate one attacker and defender every one minute.
- In the 10m square play the same, but as a 4v6 defensive overload. Do not allow more than three defenders into each ruck.
- Swap two attackers and defenders every two minutes.
- Attack the contact area head-on, whatever angle you approach it .
- Stay low, stay on your feet and stay active through the contact area.