Develop your players’ handling with this rotation of activities. Quick to set up, it could form part of a warm-up routine. Each exercise has a challenge to keep players motivated to look to improve. MORE
Slide and hammer defence
Encourage all the best attributes in a good defensive line with this game of slide and hammer. It will improve your teams’ line speed and cohesiveness.
You don’t need to explicitly coach good line speed if the players see the benefits first. This tried and tested game works well with all ages. It also gives you a chance to try out a defensive captain or two. Give one player in the defence the responsibility to call up the defence.
- Put three players at one end of the box, 1m in front a try line.
- Have five attackers with a ball at the other end.
- The defenders have to stay on the line.
- The attackers aim to score over the try line without the ball carrier being touched.
- Give them five attempts.
- Adjust the numbers to suit your players’ ability.
- Develop by having at least five defenders on the line, and at least one more attacker.
- Play the same game.
- Give the attackers a point for try and the defence a point for a touch.
- However, at any point, the defenders can call “hammer”.
- They all rush off the line. If they touch the ball carrier they get two points.
- If the attack score they get four points.
- Defenders, slide across the line together.
- Keep connected to the defender on either side.
- Rush up together.