In the third part of a session, after a warm-up game and then a skill drill, introduce a skill game. The game is still focused on the objective. It gives the players a chance to explore the skill in the context of the game and see why it is relevant. MORE
Si Nainby’s Deep Dive with William Wayland
Si Nainby talks in depth to William Wayland.
William is a certified strength and conditioning coach and owner of Powering Through Performance Gym in Chelmsford, Essex http://www.powering-through.com/.
He works with a wide variety of sports and athletes including rugby, motorsports and the PGA European Tour. His background is in applied sports science.
In this episode we discuss:
- William’s approach to S&C with his local amateur Rugby team, Chelmsford RFC.
- How he assesses and programs the S&C for the team using the Dynamic Strength Index.
- What a typical week of sessions looks like for one of his players.
- How the Triphasic Approach has helped improve movement competence and strength levels with the team.
- Working around injuries & micro trauma with contact athletes to show players how they can always train and improve.
- The importance of neck training for rugby players in improving contact skills & reducing concussion risk.
- Lessons from training MMA fighters that help when coaching rugby players.
- How he uses the philosophy of the Pragmatic Approach in his coaching to direct his decision making and assess theory and practice.
- A case study of the Pragmatic Approach in action to coach superbike rider Danny Buchan.
- How the OODA loop can assist coaches and athletes to adapt and overcome less than ideal circumstances such as lockdown.
William’s Linktree – https://linktr.ee/Poweringthrough
William’s Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/poweringthrough/
William’s Twitter – https://twitter.com/WSWayland
William’s Strength Training Guide for Grapplers https://techniqly.com/shop/william-wayland-practical-strength-for-grapplers/
Keir Wenham-Flatt’s Tempo Conditioning Guide – https://rugbystrengthcoach.pages.ontraport.net/tempo
Mladen Jovanovic’s Strength Training Manual – The Agile Periodisation Approach – https://complementarytraining.net/store/
Jordan Peterson’s University Lecture Series “Personality & its Transformations” https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL22J3VaeABQAOhH1CLMNnMl2R-O1abW1T