Not all 2 v 1s have the support player in lateral support. Work on the passing and offload options in tight channels, where the ball carrier might take contact and the support punches through. MORE
Sharp drills: Ruck triangles
Use this intense activity to develop your rucking options under pressure.
- Put three defenders inside the triangle and three attackers on the outside, plus an attacker at each station.
- Allocate a letter to each station.
- Call out a letter. The lone attacker at each station now performs a skill to secure the ball – see details below.
- Both groups move to retrieve the ball.
- Blow the whistle to change to another station.
- The last player on the ball returns the ball to its start point.
- Referee each contact rigorously.
Instructions for each station are:
- Station A: ball on attacking side of tackle tube and first (lone) attacker sits over the ball (easy)
- Station B: ball on the ground and first attacker falls on the ball (hard)
- Station C: ball on the pad and first attacker steps over the ball (moderate).