Take a pass under pressure, step away and beat another opponent. MORE
Work on quick attacking skills in a short but wide area. Despite the short distance to the try line, the attacking team will need to put pace onto the ball to score more often.
- Four defenders start on the try line and come forward once the ball carrier enters the 5m zone
- Six attackers start on the 5m line with a ball
- Using running and passing the attackers aim to run over the try line (without diving)
- The defence aims to touch the ball carrier
- After a turnover or try, the defence can come forward as soon as they are all back on their line, increasing the pressure on the attack
- The attack can only start once the ball is on the 5m line
- Any infringement – forward pass, dropped ball or in touch – leads to the ball returning to the 5m line
WHY USE IT
This game improves passing accuracy and teaches players to hold their depth in order to get the ball out wide.
Play 6v4 on a 25m wide area between the try line and 5m line.
HOW TO DO IT
- Start the six attackers on the 5m line with a ball. They run forward to score over the far end (see picture 1). They must run with the ball over the try line, not dive.
- The defenders run forward and cover (see picture 2). If they touch the ball carrier before he scores a try, or the ball is dropped, intercepted, thrown forward or goes out of play then the attack must restart on the 5m line and all the defenders retreat to the try line (see picture 3). This is the same when a try is scored. The attack can restart as soon as the ball is on the 5m line.
- After a try or turnover, the defence can advance as soon as they are back on their line, increasing the pressure on the attack to get ready quickly.
- Play for two minutes continuously and count up the score.
- Run straight
- Pass hard
- Hold your run