Dan Cottrell speaks to Jess Bunyard, Andy Stevens and Jamie Green about their approaches to Return to Play. Jess is director of women and girls rugby and RDO at Huddersfield YMCA RFC. Andy is chair of mini and juniors at Ellingham and Ringwood RFC. Jamie is director of rugby at Royston RFC. They all coach across a wide range of age groups. MORE
Sevens as training, useful jargon, breadth or depth
Dan Cottrell finally corals the RCW Round-Up Rodeo host Phil Llewellyn into his own round-up as they delve into the detail of Phil’s thoughts on coaching. After interviewing over 40 coaches in the last three months for his show, it was time to put Phil into the hot seat.
- Can sevens training and tournaments work for all levels and types of player
- How “jargon” can be used effectively, and made relevant
- The pros and cons of ex-players moving straight into coaching
- What is meant by “exciting” rugby to watch
- Should a coach know a lot about a little or a little about a lot
Phil has worked in Player Development for both England and Ireland Rugby and is a former national league head coach with Hinckley RFC. He has recently returned from coaching and coach development work in Canada. This season, amongst other things, he will be studying for a Masters in Sports Coaching and coaching the Oxford University Women’s team.