The best lineouts work on tempo, where the jumper arrives and explodes into action before the opposition can react. Practise throw and jump timings to build a rhythm to your sideline set piece. MORE
VIDEO: Lineout footwork
Use this warm-up exercise to get your jumpers and lifters quickly into position to perform in the lineout. Easy to setup, it can work with any number of players.
- Put three to four different coloured cones spread out over 10m line.
- Have a jumper or lifter move to a cone colour called out and position themselves to lift or jump. They then execute the skill as if a team mate was there.
- Repeat four or five times and then swap.
- Have two lines of cones, and make it a race.
- Have two lifters, or a lifter and jumper working together.
- Finally have a jumping pod.
- Have four cones spread out over a 10m box. Have a pair move to a cone as if they are going to catch a kick off.
- Race into position quickly, but stop and be steady to perform skill. Everything goes up.
- Be square for the lift and jump. That means hips and shoulders face the touchline.
This clip comes from our Pack Attack DVD.