A good shift drive doesn’t happen by accident. Build it with this session, in which players have to execute the lift and jump under pressure, and shift the point of the contact before the drive is set up. MORE
VIDEO: Lineout footwork
Use this warm-up exercise to get your jumpers and lifters quickly into position to perform in the lineout. Easy to setup, it can work with any number of players.
- Put three to four different coloured cones spread out over 10m line.
- Have a jumper or lifter move to a cone colour called out and position themselves to lift or jump. They then execute the skill as if a team mate was there.
- Repeat four or five times and then swap.
- Have two lines of cones, and make it a race.
- Have two lifters, or a lifter and jumper working together.
- Finally have a jumping pod.
- Have four cones spread out over a 10m box. Have a pair move to a cone as if they are going to catch a kick off.
- Race into position quickly, but stop and be steady to perform skill. Everything goes up.
- Be square for the lift and jump. That means hips and shoulders face the touchline.
This clip comes from our Pack Attack DVD.