Encourage your players to use good footwork in small spaces by avoiding contact. These two fun activities are excellent for warming up body and mind. Though rugby is a contact game, avoiding it is a core skill. There are no set techniques because each player will have their own style. Let them develop it in these two activities. MORE
The two-man fire drill
Use this two-man lineout move to win ball if your lineout isn’t functioning or you want to change things up. Executed well, it will be a “banker” ball as the opposition won’t be able to react to it.
This simple move will help you win lineout ball when under pressure on your own throw. It can also be used when playing sevens.
- Start by ensuring there’s good spacing between your jumpers, as this stops them being easily picked up by the defending jumpers.
- The main move is for the front jumper to run to the back jumper and do a dummy jump, with the second jumper running past the front jumper to take a short throw just in from the 5m line .
- The 9 only follows after the throw is made.
- There’s also a cancel option in case the back jumper is tracked to the front.
- This entails the original front jumper continuing his run to the 15m line and the hooker throwing long to him.
- The hooker must be set early and ready to throw long or short.
- Jump with the inside shoulder coming forward, so the inside hands take the ball first.
- Don’t “show” too early – it’s about late, quick movement.