Give the front jumper every chance to be lifted well by ensuring your front lifter has a strong base and chest close to the jumper. MORE
Lineout threes – basics and game
Develop your lineout pods accuracy and execution under pressure by putting them into a small-sided game. Start with the basics and then move into the competition for the ball in the air.
Lifts and jumps need to be practised under pressure in every session. Concentrate on getting the final lift well-executed. Make sure the pod is confident that it can lift well before moving into the game.
- Put groups of three players together working on their lifts and jumps.
- Swap around their roles as much as possible.
- Then get them to put some movement in before the jump.
- Once confident, move to a mini-game.
- Put two pods of players inside the box, with two hookers on the outside.
- One pod is the attacking pod, the other defends.
- The attacking pod move around the box randomly and then link up with one of the hookers.
- They have to be at least 5m away from the hooker and facing him square.
- The defending group aim to win or block the throw. Swap after five attempts.
- Jumper, jump up and down on the spot.
- Lifters, get close to the jumper.
- Bend at the knees to explode up.
- Defenders – do not bump or touch the attackers.