The inside pass is an effective weapon against a sliding defence. The receiver hits a flat pass and a gap in the defensive line to break through. This activity finishes the break with a try. Initially work on an inside pass against a sliding defence, with three attackers and two defenders. The player taking the... MORE
Go forward from the lineout
There’s 10-15m for the ball carrier to run before he meets the lineout defence. Both attack and defence need to consider how to cover this space effectively to create or prevent breaks and quick ball.
- The “lineout” players aim to support the attacker and defender
- The defender comes forward after the pass
- An attacker is fed a long pass, and aims to score at the far end
- Add in more attackers and defenders
- The feeder can pass from any of the three cones, representing different points in the lineout
- F runs to one of the ruck pads, falls on it and then passes the ball to the 9, who passes it into the main box
- Play 3v3, with supporting players from the lineout
Win the race to the gain line. In attack, look to offload or win the tackle battle to give your support a target. In defence, slow down the ball and realign quickly.
HOW TO DO IT
- Put an attacker and defender on opposing sides of a 10m x 5m box each with a support player outside the box. Get a feeder to pass the ball to an attacker who aims to get to the far end of the box.
- The defender in the box comes forward to tackle him.
- Playing full contact, let the play develop inside the box – the attacker is looking for a positive outcome: a try, an offload or a good ball placement to his supporting attacker.
- Outside a 15m square, get a feeder to pass from one of three cones (representing front, middle or back ball).
- Put two attackers and defenders in support as if from the back of a lineout.
- A further two attackers aim to score at the far end of the box against the two extra defenders. Play full contact.
- Outside a 20m x 15m box, get a forward (F) carrying a ball to run along the line of ruck pads.
- At a designated ruck pad, he turns, jumps and drops the ball down to a clearing passer.
- Two attackers and two defenders by the ruck pads support a 3v3 inside the box. You can make the box as wide as you want.