Pit forwards against the backs in this exercise to develop straight running and quick handling. It puts your players’ skills under pressure and the session can be adapted to suit groups of any size. MORE
Build a scrum and win it!
A simple game that integrates the scrum within a competitive context and teaches the huge part scrums play in retaining or regaining possession.
- Two sets of forwards against each other – depending on age group regulations – in a 20m square.
- Each team also has a back and a scrum half (9).
- All infringements and touch restarted by a scrum. Packs form as speedily as possible and call their formation as appropriate as it is completed:
- “Front row READY”.
- “Second Row IN”.
- Add another forward for back row if age group permits.
- Winning possession is everything. Sides score 1 point for winning their own put in, 5 for winning an opponent’s put in, with 5 points for a try; 2 points are available if aggressive scrummaging forces an error by the opposition.
- Safe, secure scrummaging is paramount but winning the ball is the focus.
- The team putting in looks to win the ball with good hooker/scrum half interaction.