Better tacklers read and anticipate the attackers’ movements. Improve your players’ anticipation skills by focusing on the ball carrier’s core. MORE
Scenario training for decision making
Set up scenarios with problems for attackers and defenders to work out how to “win” the situation.
- Set up the players with the front defenders 8m and then 10m apart.
- Four attackers run forward, with the defenders only moving forward after the first pass.
- A feeder passes to a receiver who’s running onto the ball. Once the pass is made, the defenders can come forward to defend.
- Use touch tackling and challenge the attackers to score without the ball carrier being two-hand touched.
- Depending on the pace of the inside defender, this defender has to decide whether to stay in or out.
- Set up the players as above.
- The carrier takes a pass from the feeder and uses footwork to beat the ruck-pad holder, who aims to knock him out of the box.
- Once the carrier has beaten this player, there’s a 2 v 1 on the last defender (the feeder can help out if necessary).
- Use touch tackling or move to full tackling.
- Attack the ball at pace – these are game situations
- Run straight
- Keep in the game after giving the pass