Use this warm-up activity to improve awareness, catching, looking up and speed of thought. MORE
VIDEO: Ball placement, ball protection
Improve player’ basic ball placement skills, with this multi-directional activity, followed by good reaction skills to be in a square position to protect the ball.
- Have one player on his back holding a ball. Another player holds the ball carrier’s ankles.
- Every time you blow the whistle the ball carrier adjusts to place the ball in a different place. So, he will do some jack-knife placements or long (pencil) placements.
- Develop by having a protecting player in position next to the situation. Have the ball carrier on his back (“eyes to the sky”).
- When you blow the whistle, the ball carrier places the ball with his ankles being held.
- The protecting player steps around the ball and adjusts his body angle so he can be in a strong position over the ball to protect.
- Further develop by having a ruck-pad holder who gets into position to challenge the player protecting the ball.
The ball carrier should twist around his core and place the ball after he has made this twist.
WHAT TO CALL OUT
“Two hands on the ball”
“Place the ball as far from your body as possible”
“Protector: Get square and low over the ball”
DEVELOP THE PRACTICE
- Put a ball carrier in the middle of a 5m box. Put a defender at each end and a support player on side of the box.
- Shout which end to attack. The ball carrier uses footwork to get to the side of the tackler who makes a low tackle.
- The ball carrier then presents the ball back while the other supporting player reacts and comes in to protect the ball on the ground.
- In the meantime, the other defender runs around to challenge for the ball, though he must come in from the correct side. > 5. Encourage the defenders to come forward when they make a tackle.