Build up the best techniques for winning quick rucks with this warm-up ruck drill. The players develop the right footwork and body angles and body shapes to drive away threats from the ball. MORE
Sharp drills: Ruck triangles
Use this intense activity to develop your rucking options under pressure.
- Put three defenders inside the triangle and three attackers on the outside, plus an attacker at each station.
- Allocate a letter to each station.
- Call out a letter. The lone attacker at each station now performs a skill to secure the ball – see details below.
- Both groups move to retrieve the ball.
- Blow the whistle to change to another station.
- The last player on the ball returns the ball to its start point.
- Referee each contact rigorously.
Instructions for each station are:
- Station A: ball on attacking side of tackle tube and first (lone) attacker sits over the ball (easy)
- Station B: ball on the ground and first attacker falls on the ball (hard)
- Station C: ball on the pad and first attacker steps over the ball (moderate).