Being accurate with your ball receipt at kick-offs and drop-outs will consolidate your game. So help your players develop their catching, realignment and passing skills with this simple activity. MORE
Ruck under pressure
Create a match-like environment at the ruck situation and help players become accurate in their clearance skills under real pressure.
- Stand four attackers by the centre cone in the square
- The sides of the square are numbered 1-4 with two ruck pad holders on each
- Call a number and pass the ball to the attacking group
- They take the ball forward into contact against the two nominated pad holders and clear the ruck with one of the players acting as scrum-half
- The scrum-half communicates the ball has been won
- You then call another number and the group must go round the centre cone and carry out the next ruck
WHY USE IT
This activity helps players become more accurate at the breakdown and speed up their decision making under match-like pressure, working on both ball carrying and the clearing out process at ruck time.
- Players communicate their roles.
- The ball carrier uses footwork to hit the space between the pad holders or at the side of one defender to maintain his leg drive.
- Clear over the ball.
- Low body positions for support players.
- Scrum-half calls when the ball is won and begins next ruck.