Don’t let your attack become stuck in a one-size-fits-all pod of three players. Test the decision-making skills of the team. The three-player pod allows an additional attacking option to open when the defence doesn’t align to match your attack. MORE
Repeatable out-of-hand kicks
Work on your kicker’s specific out-of-hand technique so they can develop that natural ability into a repeatable, accurate skill under pressure.
Ideal to use a session the players can then go and use themselves, before or outside training time.
- Put cones every 5m back from a set of goalposts.
- Have a kicker start at the nearest cone and kick at the post. Concentrate on the foot following through to the target.
- When they have hit the post once, then they move back to the next cone. They try to get back as far as they can in 10 attempts.
- Mark out the cones and balls as above. The kicker has one minute to kick five balls through the posts.
- The time element puts pressure on the technique to be repeated accurately.
- Kick to a specific target.
- The leg and foot follow through to that specific target.
- Use both the strong and weak kicking foot.
- Hold the ball in line with the kicking foot, at about hip height.
- Drop the ball and kick through to the target, with the hips and chest facing the direction of the kick.