Set your players up for the session with this competitive warm-up game which helps them use footwork, communication and in the development, passing skills. MORE
Race transition to attack
Combine a competitive passing drill and a game to switch your players on and get them working hard on both technical and tactical aspects of their game. Use this activity to replicate game tempo.
This activity focuses on passing, running and support. It also gives you a good view of how your players perform technical aspects of passing under pressure before taking this into decision-making in the game.
- Split into two groups. Four from each group line up on either side of you.
- Holding two balls, pop it up to the first two players.
- Each team of four have to pass the ball along the line and score on the opposite side of the box.
- Repeat this with the next groups of four players and so on until the players are comfortable with the skill.
- Then make a transition into a four versus four game.
- One team is nominated as attack, the other defence.
- They race as normal, but the attacking team keeps the ball after the race and attacks the side line of the second box.
- Start with touch rugby in the game before developing it into contact.
- Hands up as a target.
- Catch ball in hands and move it across body in one smooth movement.
- Attack the defenders at pace.