Don’t let your attack become stuck in a one-size-fits-all pod of three players. Test the decision-making skills of the team. The three-player pod allows an additional attacking option to open when the defence doesn’t align to match your attack. MORE
Quickfire winners and losers
Challenge attackers and defenders to play from a dynamic situation to score or prevent a try.
Keep your players thinking about which skills to use to be successful. In this case, good evaion, closing down the space, using the support player, running in support.
- Set up the coloured cones and give them a letter as above with a feeder and attacker at one end facing a defender at the other end.
- You call out a lettered cone. The defender runs to that cone before turning to defend while the feeder runs to the relevant letter and passes. If the letter is the one the feeder is standing on, they pass immediately as above.
- The attacker aims to score without being touched.
- Develop by having a second defender start next to the feeder who joins the attack once they have passed. The extra defender runs back to the try line before entering the game.
- If the attacker is touched, they are allowed to pass the ball to their team mate.
- Develop further by introducing grab tackles.
- Attacker: Hands ready to receive the ball and hold the run until the feeder has stopped to pass.
- Defender: Close down the space quickly, and keep light on your feet