Keep your team on the front foot in the breakdown area by making sure the players use good techniques and make the right choices on which threats to deal with. MORE
Quick hands, quick decisions
Good attention to detail with handling can make the difference between a clean break or the play breaking down. Put your players under pressure to execute accurately with this activity.
Keeps the hands ready, the hips up the pitch and the depth right so defenders can be fixed, and passes can be given and taken quickly to exploit spaces.
- Put three attackers close to the poles and another attacker by a feeder who is about 5m outside the box.
- Put a defender in the channel alongside the poles, and defenders 8m and 20m back on the far side of the box.
- When you say go, the attackers realign and receive a pass from the feeder.
- The first two attackers aim at the poles to keep square.
- They pass the ball to the third attacker who fixes the defender and passes to the fourth attacker.
- The other defenders now come forward, and the attackers have to pass and support in a 4 v 2.
- Work on attacking from both sides, so switch directions.
- To progress, take away the poles and put in defenders.
- Keep square when attacking the defenders.
- Hands ready to receive the pass, keeping it off the body, so elbows bent, hands limp.
- Have the body slightly leaning forward.