Si Nainby talks in depth to William Wayland William is a certified strength and conditioning coach and owner of Powering Through Performance Gym in Chelmsford, Essex http://www.powering-through.com/. He works with a wide variety of sports and athletes including rugby, motorsports and the PGA European Tour. His background is in applied sports science. MORE
Arriving players are the ruck need to come through square and strong. Help players be in the right position to be strong and legal at the breakdown.
When a ruck forms, players are not always in a position to come from behind the ruck. In which case, they need to work on coming through the tackle gate and then rucking.
- From the press-up position the player runs back around the corner of the box, comes in through the cones and picks up a tackle tube (or pad).
- He places the bag over the ball.
- Another player then repeats the exercise from the other side.
- With the same cones in place, put an attacker and defender in the box.
- Put another attacker and defender at the side in press up positions.
- When you shout “go” the defender tackles the attacker in the box as he moves forward.
- The other two players come back through the gates and compete for the ball.
- Put a ball carrier and defender in the middle box.
- Number six defenders 1-6 and six attackers 7-12.
- Place them as per the diagram.
- When you shout a series of numbers, the ball carrier tries to beat the defender, and the other players join the game.
- You can shout any combination of numbers to overload attack or defence.
- Get the hips and shoulders in line before the ruck.
- Keep driving the legs after the contact.