Make this 90-minute session part of your pre-season preparations. It develops your players’ phase play in four clear and easy steps – warm-up, technical skills, unit skills and tactics. MORE
Quick-fire skills activity: Sprint passing
A quick set-up activity to work on your players’ passing at pace.
- Put three attackers at one side of a 12m by 10m box. They sprint through the cones in front of them, which triggers the defenders to sprint forward.
- You feed to the first receiver, who passes to the second receiver before the first defender gets to him.
- The second receiver either passes or dummy-passes to the last player, depending on whether the second defender decides to go in or out.
- The first defender sprints at the first attacker once the attacker is through the gate of cones.
- The second defender decides whether to go in or out
- Start with short passes before lengthening. Adjust starting points to ensure a good contest. Swap sides.
- Keep the hips facing up the pitch.
- Reach for the pass.
- Finish the hands towards the passer.
- Pass in front of the receiver.